Gratin improv

I had eggplant. I had tomatoes. I had fresh basil. I had fresh mozzarella. I had a bag full of leftover cubed baguette in the freezer. The stars were aligned.

The eggplant got sliced, brushed with olive oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper, and broiled until light golden. Thick slices of ripe tomato and thin slices of the mozzarella were layered with the eggplant in a gratin dish. The basil was torn up by hand and tossed on top. A drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper for good measure. Then, the bread cubes, and another generous drizzle of oil over all.

I covered the gratin with foil and baked at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes, until the juices from the tomatoes were bubbling. I used a spatula to press down on the bread cube topping so that they would soak in some of that delicious juice, the put the gratin back in the oven uncovered until the tops of the bread cubes were crisp and golden.

Oh, it was so good.

2 Response to "Gratin improv"

  1. Lo Says:

    Oooh. I was expecting bread salad... and I got a lovely gratin instead. Sounds delicious. And I can just imagine the wonder of those delicious juices... sometimes improv is the best thing ever.

  2. Mommy PR Says:

    ohh that sounds good! I love eggplant so this is up my alley for sure. Now that makes me want to run to the store...... :D

Post a Comment